Saturday, May 07, 2005

Blindingly obvious observations about corporate website content (that some people still don't know about)

  • I surf the net looking for information that is useful or interesting to me. I use web applications to get things done. I expect that most people do the same. I am not awed by eye-candy, but I appreciate an aesthetically pleasing website as much as the next person.
  • Presentation is important, but if your corporate website doesn't have useful content the it will probably be a white elephant.
  • If your website's navigation scheme makes it difficult for search engines to follow your links you will lose business.
  • If you use obscure jargon to describe your business, instead of saying what you do in simple English, you will probably lose search engine hits
  • If you have spelling and grammatical errors on your site, your company will look unprofessional, and even the best site design won't compensate for that