Monday, May 31, 2004

PR problems

Richard at Way South has a bit of a rant about Anti-Americanism.

"...For 'this', I blame Bush. What do I want? I want George W. to convince my Mother that I'm not crazy. How is he going to do this? By getting the real reasons why America went to war in Iraq out into the world. By getting the American side of the story to my Mother so she can make up her own mind instead of sending me books titled "Why the world hates America." If the 'message' is getting lost in America, it came nowhere near our shores

How can America do this? For one, how about the American embassy in South Africa respond to some of the foolishness that is printed in our press. How about the American embassy send someone on a radio talk shows every now and then (The Israelis do it). How about you take out an add explaining your position? You might not convince many people, but at least they'll respect the fact that you do 'care' about their opinion..."


Firstly, I don't think that anyone at the embassy would know how to defend the invasion of Iraq, since, every explanation gets debunked. I don't think that Bush himself knows. (If Richard knows why Iraq was invaded, I invite him to explain).

Secondly, according to most accounts, the State Department has been a thorn in the side of the neocons, so there is a distinct possibility that the embassy employees want no part in defending a war planned by bloodthirsty (and foolish) Pentagon civilians.

[Thanks to commentary.co.za for the pointer]